Monday, November 23, 2009

Thankgiving and Gratefulness

For the first time in several years I will have all of my children home for Thanksgiving. While the children were growing up I never realized just how wonderful that was. I would be trying to get dinner on and they would all be around my feet. I remember thinking that we should just go out to eat and it would be easier. All those times that I got frustrated with them for being in the way. Now, I am so excited that I am going to have to say Excuse Me a hundred time Thursday as we all jockey around the kitchen. And I am ashamed that I ever considered not having them all with me. My oldest son joined the military at 18. His first duty station was Germany. As a new private coming home for the holidays was just not going to happen. As his time in Germany drew to a close we thought we would once again be able to be together. That was short lived when he got sent to Iraq next. This is the first time in 5 years that I will have all 7 of them home for Thanksgiving. I am so thankful and yet it is bitter sweet. We are a military family. My husband is a soldier as well. He is currently serving in Kuwait and he will not be with us this holiday season at all. In the spring David, my oldest, will be on his way to Afghanistan. He will be there for at least a year. It will be several more years before we are all together as a complete family at the holidays. I will never again take for granted the happy chaos of the holidays. Even the silly arguments about who will sit where are now dear to me. They really do grow up so fast and our time with them is fleeting. Enjoy them. Love them. And most of all be thankful for each and every day with them no matter how stressful. They are a gift from God in every way.

Blessings
Dawn

No comments: