Monday, October 26, 2009

Amazing Bread Recipe

I wish I could take credit for this recipe, but I do have to admit that it came from my old stand by Amish Cookbook. I have so many friends asking for the bread I thought I would post the recipe. I will add that I think the outcome is more based on the quality of flour that is used more that the recipe. I only use Wheat Montana Unbleached Unbromated Flour. It is a high protein flour that I have only found at Bulk Amish Grocery stores. I know that you can order it online and it is available in smaller amounts from Walmart. I buy in 50lb bags because is is more economical. I also mix it half and half with 100 percent whole wheat flour. So here goes.


3 cups warm water

3 tablespoons yeast

1 tablespoon honey

1 tablespoon salt ( I use sea salt)

3 cups of flour


Place above ingredients in a bowl mix and allow to form a (sponge). It takes about 20 minutes.


While this is working in another container


1 cup hot water

1/2 cup honey

1 cup oil.


Stir honey into hot water and mix until disolved. Add oil.

Mix this into the yeast mixture once it has made a sponge.

Mix well


Begin adding flour 2 cups at a time and stiring in. I usually end up adding about 6 to 8 cups of flour. Once a stiff dough it formed turn out onto a floured sufface and knead for about 6 minutes adding flour as needed. The book says it will take about 10 cups all together. I have found that the higher the protein content of the flour the less it will take. I have honestly never measured the Flour. I knead the dough for about 2-3 minutes and let it rest for about 3-4 minutes and then knead it for 3 more. I should stretch well without tearing when you are done.

Place in a well oiled bowl and allow to double and a half. I have found if I allow it to rise at its own rate without rushing it with warmth from the oven I get a better more even raise. I does take longer, but I just do other things for a while. Once it has doubled and a half I punch it down and divide it into 4 loaf pans forming the loaves on the counter first. I allow it to get a little more than doubled and bake it for 25-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. This bread is amazing. I have tried many recipes looking for a loaf that my family will eat and enjoy like store bought. This is as close as I think I can come. I also slice it on an electric meat slicer so I get nice even pieces and place it in bread bags that I buy at the same Bulk Amish Store. They are about 3.00 dollars for 50 and I do reuse them several times. I also use clothes pins instead or twist ties to save money. This bread freezes really well so I can do all the baking one day a week and pull it out of the freezer as needed.

No comments: